Friday, March 23, 2012

A San Diego spin on Kiper's chat wrap, Part II


Last week I posted a selection of questions and answers related to the San Diego Chargers during ESPN NFL draft guru Mel Kiper's chat wrap from Wednesday, March 14. Kiper had another chat wrap yesterday afternoon, so I pulled some more questions and answers I believe will be informative for Chargers fans to read. In bold, I will type my thoughts underneath Kiper's answers.


Eric (Tenn)

Whats preventing ronnell Lewis from being a 1st round pick, because he was very production at oklahoma

Mel Kiper

He had a good career at OU coming out as a junior. He made more impact plays this year. What's helped him, when people saw him in the right game, you saw a guy who can be a 3-4 OLB. He's gained momentum the last couple of months. I think he's a solid second rounder. He fits the 3-4 teams.

I have already written about Oklahoma outside linebacker Ronnell Lewis twice. What I can't get past is how he's a second-round prospect in many experts' eyes in spite of the fact he had just 10.5 sacks during his college career. The Chargers need a dynamic pass-rushing talent, and Lewis doesn't appear to be that type of player.


Jack (Boston)

Mel-Always great work, does the Peyton Manning signing change how the Broncos will approach the draft?

Mel Kiper
No, I don't think it changes their approach. They still need defense. Manning can't be in a position where he has to outscore everybody. They need DL help, secondary. They need that defense better and up to speed. You maybe draft a QB in the late rounds, but that's too much of a luxury pick early.

The Denver Broncos already have a strong defense, one that can only be made better if newly-acquired quarterback Peyton Manning produces long drives on offense. Here's hoping Denver will pick a bust in the first round.

Junior (OH)
Is mark barron in the same league as eric berry and earl thomas?

Mel Kiper

He's a different kind of player. He's a strong safety type, in the box type. He's the LaRon Landry type of guy. He's the glue that held the Alabama defense together. He's not an Ed Reed, he's a Landry. Barron is coming into the league with the hernia injury, but he should be fine and should be a mid first round pick.

Alabama safety Mark Barron may just be the player San Diego Chargers general manager A.J. Smith selects in the first round. The Chargers have a glaring need at the strong safety spot alongside free safety Eric Weddle, and Barron is certainly an intriguing candidate to fill that position. Personally, I think Smith would be better off selecting a pass-rusher or an offensive lineman in Round 1. As far as I'm concerned, those two positions carry greater importance than strong safety. But Barron certainly possesses the physicality and tackling skills to be a pretty good player for a long time, so I won't cry or throw a temper tantrum if he ends up being San Diego's first-round pick.

Alex (Villanova)

Who are the 3 likeliest picks for the Jets at 16?

Mel Kiper
Depending upon what happens with the rest of free agency, you need a pass rusher. Courtney Upshaw, Melvin Ingram. You can't run Rex Ryan's defense without a pass rush. WR, RB, RT. They have some holes. They have to help out Mark Sanchez. The biggest issue right now is they need a guy who can finish plays. They don't have a closer off the edge.

I'm under the assumption that South Carolina defensive end Melvin Ingram and Alabama outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw will be selected before the New York Jets are up at selection #16. By all means, I'd love to see the Jets take Upshaw, since I feel he is quite overrated, but I really hope they don't take one of the pass-rushers I want for the Chargers. I'll be greatly disappointed if the Jets select USC defensive end Nick Perry, who's my favorite pass-rusher in this draft.

Tom (Chicago)

How high is Brandon Brooks going?

Mel Kiper

He could go as high as a second or third round. Powerhouse guard. Very athletic. Strong kid. Powerful kid. It was surprising that he wasn't invited to the combine. He's one of the top 5 pure guards in the draft. I say he goes in the third round.

It would be wonderful to see the Chargers select Miami of Ohio offensive guard Brandon Brooks in the third round. Right now, Tyronne Green is penciled in as San Diego's starting left guard. Green, to me, is a good backup, but I'm not so sure he's the long-term replacement for the retired All-Pro Kris Dielman. Brooks has the size and athleticism to really excel in the NFL.

Brandon (Wi)

can decastro play every position on the line?

Mel Kiper

He's an outstanding pure guard. He can play center. He'll have value. With the DT play in the NFL right now, he'll be huge to have. He's like a Steve Wisniewski. That's the kind of player DeCastro can be. He has that potential. He's the guy you pencil in as a starter and figure that he'll be a pro bowl player. I think he goes in the middle of the first. He shouldn't get past No. 20 to Tennessee.

As much as I want the Chargers to select an offensive tackle or a pass-rusher in the first round, Stanford offensive guard David DeCastro should be the choice if he's there at pick #18. DeCastro is a rare talent for his position, and I could definitely see him being a Pro Bowl left guard for many years. It would be stupid to pass him up.

Anthony (Philadelphia)

Where do you see Bruce Irvin going?

Mel Kiper

I think he could go as high as the second. I'm projecting the third. He has a lot of speed. He didn't play as well this year as two years ago. I thought he could be a first round pick if he played up to how he once did. He dropped from 14 sacks to 7. He could be a very good OLB.

West Virginia outside linebacker Bruce Irvin is a prospect who was considered by many as a first-round talent before last season began, but he didn't perform up to expectations in 2011. That worries me a little bit, but I plan on doing a little more research on him. I wouldn't totally rule him out just because he struggled last year.

Brandon (San Diego)

If the Bears want to go OL and DL with their first 2 picks, which one should they get in the first and which one in the second?

Mel Kiper

The first round, if you're looking OT, you're looking Mike Adams from OSU. Fletcher Cox from Mississippi State would be a possibility at DL. Second round OT, Bobby Massie, Jonthan Martin, James Brown. For second round DT, Jerel Worthy.

The Chicago Bears select one pick after the Chargers. I hope A.J. Smith grabs Ole Miss offensive tackle Bobby Massie before he falls to Chicago in the second round. What I find interesting about what Kiper said is how he puts Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin as a second-round possibility. I don't know if that was a mistake, but I wonder if Martin's stock is dropping now.

I will continue to check into Kiper's chat wraps and follow up with my own analysis leading up to the draft. For some reason, his latest chat wrap was yesterday afternoon, a Thursday, but the rest have been on Wednesdays at 1 p.m. ET.

No comments:

Post a Comment